When?

Now I really don't know what to think.  I didn't sleep at all. Every noise I thought was you coming in. I'm exhausted and my mind is stretched to the limit.  I tried to act as though nothing is wrong this morning with the kids, but I am ready to break. They didn't seem to notice.  I think they just assumed you'd already left for work.  They'd probably just roll their eyes at my fussing anyway. Tell me it was no big deal.

But it's been almost a whole day since you walked out the door.   I go from talking to myself and talking to you - neither of which is very good company...

Your phone doesn't even ring through now. It just goes immediately to voicemail.  Not that it's all that unusual. Did you forget to charge it again?  Have you lost yet another charger?  I think we've paid more for chargers than we have for the dumb phone itself...

Called the office but they weren't expecting you in today anyway, so that's no help. You're actually not supposed to be in until mid-week. I don't know who was on your schedule, so I don't even know where to look, but surely someone else will be missing you soon. I don't know what to do.  I am afraid I am just being silly. You'll walk back in the door and have a laugh at how worried I've been.

I even thought about calling the police...  But you have to be actually missing for two days before they do anything anyway - so there's not much I can do. Which seems absolutely ridiculous to me.  A lot can happen in two days.

I went through your closet, trying to find something missing. Maybe you just left.  You're always packed for your travels with work, though, so it's hard to tell what's not here that should be. I think it would be easier to think that you just up and left than to consider the possibility that something's happened to you.  I don't know if I can bear it. I'd rather be left than to lose you...

So I just wait. And worry. And...

...worry.

Where are you, David?

When are you coming home?

ARE you coming home?

No comments:

Post a Comment