Unlisted...

Well, my love, I hope you are having fun - where ever you are - because no one but me seems to be concerned by your absence.

Except Katy Cat, of course, but then again not having the right outfit to wear to the dance leads to a near apocalyptic meltdown...

So maybe it IS just me.  Maybe you just needed a break.  None of this makes any sense. We've never even gone to bed mad at each other...  Ever.

It's just not like you.

I rang the police today to report you missing. They seem to think that I am just a bored and over-anxious housewife. They'll look into it, they said. I am to let them know when I hear from you. They're going to see about locating your phone, but if it's out of power, they're not making any guarantees that they will even be able to find it.  No one seems to think anything is amiss, and I can't make them understand you just wouldn't leave...  Just wouldn't call.  Even if you were cross with me, I'd know it.  To not know anything at all just doesn't make sense. Your mother doesn't even seem ruffled by your disappearance.  She sounded more annoyed than anything. She wants you to call her.

I am just so exhausted. I sat down to make a list of things I needed to do.  I found myself an hour later staring at a blank page. I can't think straight. I can't sleep. I drove around town earlier looking for your car, thinking perhaps you'd run into trouble somewhere...

Nothing.

It's like you never existed, except I see your boots still by the door from the last time you wore them, dried mud still caked to the soles (and dirtying the floor, I might add).  I can't even remember now where you went to get them so muddy...

But you were here, and you went somewhere.

I just wish you'd come home.

I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Sue is coming over this evening for a glass of wine after dinner. I think she's just coming over to make sure I'm not coming completely unhinged.  She keeps telling me how silly I am.

You'll be home...

I hope she's right.

1 comment: