As the smoke clears

I had almost managed to convince myself over the weekend that it was all some sort of bad dream, a huge mistake.
That I would drive up the road to our house and it would be situation normal.

Not that I could even choose to forget while away, especially as I jump every time the phone rings now.

The kids are spooked.  Katy fretted all weekend about Brian, her room, and her stuff, almost frantic over the thought that her collection of teddy bears and toy rabbits had been destroyed.

James spent a lot of time on his phone. Mostly talking to Blair I think.

And yes, before we left, we called in on  your parents.
Your mother has been in constant hysterics.  Apparently everything is my fault again.  She kept saying that you were her son and it is her right to organise your funeral.
At her church.  With all those dreadful judgmental over-the-top friends of hers.
She went on and on about it, until I just stood up and announced that we were leaving for the weekend.

Your father walked me to the door and told me quietly that he was going to see if the family doctor would prescribe some sort of sedative for her.  I hope so.  She is so close to going off the rails completely and quite honestly, I can't deal with it.

So after a couple of nights away, I was finally able to get back to the house and try and work out our next step.
Yes, I am back to writing my lists.

In the daylight, it doesn't seem as bad as it did Friday night.

The main living areas, although soggy and dirty don't seem to be too badly damaged thankfully.
And the kids rooms too, can probably be sorted with a fresh coat of paint and new carpets.

The insurance assessor, along with someone from the fire department, met us at the house and together we walked through.

All indications are that the fire was started in your office.  Most probably with some sort of petrol bomb.
All I could think was that the motive was "if we cant find it, we will destroy it".
What ever "it" is.

Although I am beginning to believe "it" is your laptop which at the moment is safely with Blair.

James told me on the weekend that he has made a back up of your files as well.  To some "cloud" or something.
Too technical for me.

I have told him that it is time to hand it over to the police, so I called Jacob after the insurance guy left.

Whatever you have been involved with, David, I can't sort it on my own.

This fire made me realise that we are all in danger now.

And as much as I am sick to death of dealing with uniforms and guys in suits, I have to protect our children.

They are all I have left now.


Jacob is at the door, and this time he has someone else with him.  A guy in a suit, of course.
Hopefully we can now get some answers.


No comments:

Post a Comment